Computers, especially the portable ones such as netbooks and laptops, are highly vulnerable to theft as several businesses use the computing systems while travelling or use them as mobile offices.
The alarming rate at which the laptops are being stolen lately is a cause of concern, thanks to the a growing line of laptop theft prevention products that address designed to secure and recover your computer. Still there is no reason to get paranoid, you can take steps to prevent laptop theft and help ensure computer security.
Basic steps you need to take to ensure laptop security
Secure the laptop against theft
- Not to leave the laptop or PC in sight in vehicle that is not locked.
- While travelling, carry the laptop in briefcase or anything that will not identify it as laptop to a third person. To carry a laptop in a computer or laptop bag is itself an invitation to the laptop thieves.
- Carry the laptop along with you even if you have to leave it for a short break from a meeting or a conference or even at the hotel lounge.
- Lock the laptop when you have no use with it in a closed cabinet or even secure it to your table or desk using a laptop lock.
- Identify your laptop with unique markings with the help of acrylic paints or even use markings on the laptop case to identify it easily.
- Keeping backing up all the data as frequent as possible and store the backed up data on a secure disk or any other means thereof.
- Note the model as well as the serial number of the laptop, so to enable tracking it easily in case of theft (should the manufacturer be made aware of the number and the loss and should the thief take it to the manufacturer for any service the numbers will help identify your laptop).
There are various laptop locks as well as other devices to deter anyone from running off with your laptop.
There are many laptop lock companies that manufacture big line of anti-theft laptop lock products that guarantee computer security. While a few manufacturers specialize in anti-theft products for various brands of laptops including laptop locks, laptop carts, etc such as for Apple iMac, Apple laptops, Dell laptops, HP/Compaq laptops etc.
To have a mobile alarm installed on the laptop is always a good idea
In general, the mobile alarms are designed to go as and when the sensors detect motion or mobility of the computer (when the laptop is moved off predetermined area). Although these are designed for theft protection of laptops, they are even used to secure PCs.
Use of laptop tracking devices
There are a good number of laptop tracking devices designed to help locate the stolen laptop incase of theft and there are also devices to protect the data stored on the laptop.