Microsoft Windows operating systems feature relatively secure password protected account access to the resources on the computer. Administrator accounts are the only accounts that have full access to the entire system, and therefore should be rarely used and the password changed periodically. If the administrator password is changed and then forgotten, there is a procedure available that will reset the administrator account password back to the previous password.
Things You'll Need: Microsoft Windows 7 or Vista installation CD/DVD
- 1. Insert the Windows 7 or Vista installation DVD into the DVD drive and then reboot the computer.
- 2. Press a key on the keyboard when the "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD" message appears on the screen. Select the "Language to install," set the "Time and currency format" and then select the "Keyboard or input method," according to your preferences, and then click the "Next" button.
- 3. Select the "Repair your computer" link, and then select the "Microsoft Windows 7" entry in the "System Recovery Options" window that appears, and click the "Next" button.
- 4. Select the "System Restore" option in the "System Recovery Options" window that is displayed and the "System Restore" window will appear. If the "Choose a different restore point" radio button is present, then click on the radio button. Click the "Next" button.
- 5. Select a "restore point" from the list displayed that has a time and date prior to when the password was changed, and then click the "Next" button.
- 6. Click the "Finish" button. A window will appear that states "Once started, System Restore may not be interrupted. Do you want to continue?" Click the "Yes" button to continue. The System Restore process will commence, and then the computer will reboot. After restart has completed, click the "Close" button on the "System Restore" window. The administrator password has now been reset.
Another efficient method to reset Windows 7 password if you forgot that: Windows Password Recovery Tool 3.0 - http://www.windowspasswordsrecovery.com