1. Give yourself a little time to process. Don't do anything to get him back instantly. I love to write brainstorms to get my thoughts out so shortly after a gigantic break I doodle all of my thoughts down. This enables me to process everything in a visible way. If you do not give yourself this time to process you will be considering it constantly while doing other stuff.
2. Be certain about what you want from him. Let him know (once) in a short and orderly way that you need him back and you'll be around. Be cool. The point is not to convince him to come back to you. It's simply to allow him know that you still are interested in making it work. Then he knows and can do what he would like with the information when he's ready. Then it's time to leave him alone to process and play it cool.
3. Remove him from your phone and block his facebook (you don't have to defriend him, just block yourself from seeing his page. It could be a temporary fix.) This is imperative for 3 reasons : it helps you cope, it depressurizes the situation ( pressure makes men shut down ), and it makes him curious about what you are doing rather than contacting him.
4. Spend some time on yourself and things you like to do. Not so as to get him back. Just. For. You. Do things you adore. Build your confidence and self esteem.
5. Avoid spending lots of time on social technology like twitter and facebook. Do not tweet about your split. Do not cut at him on the web. Do not check his facebook and twitter. Don't post about everything you are doing. Let yourself be mysterious. Get away from the computer and really have fun!
6. Don't avoid other men and don't use them to retaliate either. Girls have a tendency to either avoid any and all men to seem like they are faithfully waiting or because nobody compares to their ex so what is the point. First, it's healthy and fun to start to know new people you don't have to marry them (and you may get some free dinner and/or drinks out of it.) Second, it's desirable to men (including your ex) for other men to discover a girl fascinating. It is an animal instinct men have -- they need what other men find fascinating. That having been said, don't go in the wrong way and go boy crazy either. This may make you look desperate and straightforward. It can also be negative to you to float from incomprehensible encounter to meaningless encounter, making you miss your ex more . So maintain a healthy balance. Go out with 1 or 2 guys that are interesting ; do not expect fireworks, but don't keep your eyes on the ground either.
7. Forgive him. No matter what the circumstances of the break are, you have to excuse him and desire him back because you love him, not because he is something you are used to.
Sure, these tips sound easy, but they're not and I realize that. The how is the trickiest part. Check out my other articles for details on how to follow the get him back rules.