In simple language, self esteem is a feeling of self respect grows from positive qualities of an individual by overcoming the negative feelings of a person. It is one of the basic things that bring motivation and success in life. So, it is necessary to develop positive self esteem in children from the beginning and it is the duty of parents and teachers. High self esteem will help your child to become a confident, determined and successful individual and will also help him in future to overcome any situation. He or she will become keen on learning new things and will complete all work with perfection. So, having a high self esteem in children has lots of advantages and below is some ways that will help parents to build self esteem in children.
1. Provide unconditional love: It is very necessary that parents love their children for what he is regardless of his abilities, failures and strengths. To build positive self esteem in your child, you must give him or her plentiful love and also give him or her kisses and hugs. Try to correct their mistakes with love and do not use violence. Never say disheartened words to them and never try to compare them with other children. For example, never say to your son that: you are a bad boy and you can never get good marks. Instead of saying this, be polite with your child and say that this thing is not right and you should not do this mistake again.
2. Make some rules: With love it is also necessary that your child follow some rules. So, you should make some logical rules for him or her. For example, establish a rule to to eat food in only the kitchen. It is also possible that in starting your child may not listen to you and eat food by wandering in the living room. You should stay on your rules and after some time you will find that your child will start respecting you and start following the rules. Tell your child that he or she is doing the right thing and there is nothing wrong in following the rules.
3. Spend time with them: It is very important to spend some time with your child. With this, your child will feel that you love him and it will increase the level of self esteem. It does not mean that you give lot of time to your child. You should try to go for a family picnic on weekends and spend some valuable time with your child. Maintain eye contact with your child when they talking to you so that he feels that you are not ignoring them. You can even make them happy by spending few minutes with him or her from your busy schedule.
4. Give them confidence: Person can always improve the work by committing his or her mistakes. It is also a saying that failure is a step towards success. So, give your child another chance when he or she commits a mistake. This will boost their confidence.
5. Celebrate the success: Celebrate the success of your child. Give him or her toys, chocolates, etc whenever they do right thing and get success. This will support your child to do more right things.
Other than above, there are many more ways that you can follow to build self esteem in your child.