There are indicators to look for and should get your attention so that you recognize when to change the tyres on your car.
The following is a list of signs to look for:
- If you come across breaks in your tyres they should be changed as soon as possible.
- Tyres that are old can solidify over time and this would induce your car to slide on particular kinds of road and cause an accident.
- It is possible to purchase tyres with retreads but be aware that retreaded tyres lack the stability and security of new. So buying because they are low-cost is not always the safest. You may detect that the effectiveness of your car is impaired, particularly in poor weather and is not gripping the road as well as it ought to.
- The tread on your tyres is worn below the appropriate minimum limit of 1.6mm.
- If the tread of the tyre is worn down the middle of the tyre this may be because at some point the tyres have been over inflated.
- Wear on the exterior sides, occasionally brought on by under inflating your tyres should also be replaced as it causes difficulties on the inner liner as well.
- Deterioration can sometimes be caused to a tyre resulting in a bulge, occasionally referred to as an egg in the tyre.
- There may be slashes in the tyres typically caused by sharp objects.
- There may be areas of the tyre with no tread at all, this would be caused by emergency braking, sometimes also causing the tyre to deflate.
- There may be wear on the external edge of the tyre caused by excessive wheel camber.
- If the side of the tread has been worn progressively from one side to the other, this may be caused by the front wheels being out of position.
- It is inescapable that at times sharp objects go into tyres, more often than not nails. This too would be time for a tyre to be changed especially if there is a hissing sound coming from it when you try to pull it out. It is best to shove the nail back in at this point and go and get it checked out asap.
Tyres should be inspected weekly, to make sure that they are well maintained giving them a extended life.