According to our 2010 Charity Auction Market Research Report, luxury travel packages and unique once in a lifetime experiences are the most popular silent auction items. In addition to their popularity, luxury travel packages and once in a lifetime experiences are among the most profitable charity auction ideas you can include in your fundraising auction.
To maximize auction profit follow these 5 Tips when selecting your travel packages and once in a lifetime experiences:
1) In the past, what destinations have received winning bids and at what price points: It is fine to sell the same trip each year, but include new destinations as well and keep price points consistent.
2) The number of attendees: The larger the group the more items you should auction. We have found that your organization should have on average 1 travel package for every 50 event attendees.
3) Attendee disposable income level: The event committee should know their audience. If you have affluent or high net worth group of attendee’s, then higher price point packages are appropriate.
4) Complement the theme of the event with a travel package: A casino night should auction trips to Las Vegas or Monte Carlo; a sports theme should auction trips to a special event like the Super Bowl; and a golf tournament could auction a trip to The Masters or to a golf resort.
5) Complement the organization’s mission: If the organization supports Africa, auction a Safari.
For silent auction ideas, check on online for resources. There are many websites with silent auction ideas.