Features of the Best Cigar Lighters
It’s a stretch to believe that a cigar lighter really is one of the most crucial tools for any cigar smoker. You may think that a lighter is just a lighter but like a set of chef knives, there are many different kinds and each one serves a specific purpose. A good high-quality cigar lighter-—also known as a torch lighter thanks to the resemblance and the strong flame produced—-should allow for a flame that stays, unwavering, in any environment. But there's more to a cigar lighter than just that!
Many smokers ask me "which cigar lighters are the best, most reliable lighters out there?" Well, one lighter may be the best lighter for one smoker but the worst for another. Thus, instead of listing specific lighters or brands, I’ll just head you off in the right direction by listing features that I look for in a durable, functional lighter when searching online cigar shops for cigar accessories and cigar gifts.
Types of Lighters:
Let’s get one thing straight, folks: a cigar lighter is NOT the same thing as a cigarette lighter.
A cigar needs more heat to ignite than a cigarette. Also, a cigar takes quite a bit longer to light than a cigarette does because cigars are made of different tobacco ingredients. But why do you have to use a cigar lighter?
A cigarette lighter uses a different type of fuel than a cigar torch lighter. Cigar lighters contain butane fuel, cigarette lighters use lighter fluid. Butane is odorless and burns cleaner and hotter than standard lighter fluid. Because it is odorless, butane will not create unwanted flavors or add them to your stogies; lighter fluid in cigarette lighters will.
Features of Cigar Lighters:
Now that you understand the importance of a cigar lighter, let’s focus on some aspects of a dependable, good cigar lighter you should look for when searching cigar shops for cigar gifts and accessories. In random order:
With that, I wish you good luck shopping for a dependable, worthy cigar lighter for yourself or a friend (they make great cigar gifts!). Happy cigar lighting!
- A good-size fuel tank – Now you don’t have to worry about your small lighter constantly running out of butane!
- Viewing window for fuel level – Convenient way to tell when you’re almost out of fuel. No more dead lighters at inconvenient times!
- Ergonomic side-trigger – natural position for trigger that helps light your stogies.
- An extra (second) trigger – Sometimes, you may need a little extra flame; press this and a second flame pops out to help you light the big ones, if needed.
- Lighter with cover (but NOT a flip top lid!) – A lighter with a recessed cover is best because it moves out of the way when lighting. While a flip top lid protects the lighting implement when you’re not using your lighter, it gets in the way when you do use your lighter.
- Recessed lighting nozzle – recessed lighting nozzles are a great help when it’s windy out. A sturdy flame is a cigar smoker’s best friend (well, other than the cigar itself!), and this feature really ‘keeps it up’ (for lack of a better phrase). It also reduces the amount of debris and dust that may collect in the nozzle; this will keep your lighter at its best.
- Large flame-adjustment knob (one-finger adjustment) – We constantly need to adjust the flame on our lighter because the conditions around us are constantly changing. An easy to use flame-adjustment knob is of dire importance and is much more convenient than the small screwdriver some lighters require for adjustments.