I am often asked what steps a person should take before filing for bankruptcy, says Charlotte Bankruptcy Attorney Victorianne C, Maxwell and I often have a few points I can discuss with potential clients.
1. Run a free copy of your credit report so that you can really see what is listed on their and how much debt you are likely in.
2. Compile any unpaid medical bills that may not be listed on your credit report.
3. Take a look at your monthly expenses vs. your monthly income. You can do this by compiling some paystubs, tax returns, and paystubs.
4. Take a look at your bank account deposits and withdrawals and see if they numbers add up. The biggest issue we come across in bankruptcy is when the clients bank statements are much more then what they report on their bankruptcy petition.
5. Contact IRS , the state, and county to see if there are any outstanding tax balances. Keep in mind old tax debt can be discharged in bankruptcy if certain conditions are met.
6. Make a list of questions you may have about bankruptcy and the process.
7. Schedule your appointment with a bankruptcy attorney. Be sure to bring all the information listed above to your appointment and any additional information that the Attorney requests such as a intake form.
8. Relax. Bankruptcy is not the end of the world, it could be the fresh start for you and put you on the road to being debt free.
Maxwell Law Firm represents clients in North Carolina with: bankruptcy court, tax services. filing for bankruptcy, chapter 7 bankruptcy, foreclosure defense, chapter 13 bankruptcy representation, and loan modifications. You may schedule your appointment by calling 704-780-1100. Save an additional 25% off the fees by scheduling your appointment online.