Keeping your lawn in great condition can be pretty difficult. Bad airflow and inconsistent natural light from high garden walls and fences make it difficult to get a perfect garden. Here are some great tips to give to give your lawn the care it deserves.
If your grass is appearing thin in places, is dull and has weeds then here are a few tips:
• Remove any weeds or moss from the roots and don’t be afraid to leave soil patches
• Get good quality compost – it’s worth paying the money if you want to keep weeds at bay and make your grass beautiful and thick. Lightly sprinkle a thin layer of compost all over your lawn filling in any holes so your lawn is even.
• Get lawn seed and lightly sprinkle this over the top of the compost sprinkled lawn. Where there a bald patches add more lawn seed.
• Lightly water with a watering can with a nozzle on the end –don’t soak your lawn this will have the adverse effect.
• Ensure to keep off the lawn for about three weeks until the seeds have grew into a beautiful garden.
Mowing your lawn properly can really make a difference. Here’s how:
• Avoid cutting the lawn until seeds have germinated, if you mow your lawn too soon you run the risk of blowing the seeds all over the garden and grass coming out of the flowerbeds is never a good look.
• Never cut the grass below 1 inch, grass shorter than this shoes the soil and makes your lawn appear thin.
• To avoid shocking the grass, never cut more than one third of grass off at a time.
• From March to October, mow your lawn once a week.
• Don’t always cut your grass in one direction – this stops the grass getting used to growing in one direction.
• To help the grass resist disease, use a sharp blade to cut your lawn.
Keeping your lawn a beautiful green can be hard. Water your lawn deeply once a week. A great tip for now overwatering is place a cup in the centre of your lawn, or in the way of the sprinklers, water as normal and stop once the cup is about half full.
A generous watering once a week should have a great effect on making your lawn really green.
With a little tender loving lawn care your lawn will be looking great in no time at all.