Bananas are rich in calcium and potassium and should be included in your regular diet. They can be used to prepare a number of interesting dishes and given below is the recipe of one such simple and tasty dish in bread pudding recipe. You can use this banana bread pudding recipe anytime to prepare a yummy dessert.
- 7 cups of bread cubes (remove the crust of the bread before cutting)
- 6 large eggs at room temperature
- 3/4 cup of granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 1/2 cups of heavy whipping cream
- 1 1/2 cups of half and half
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup of dark brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons of butter (unsalted and at room temperature)
- 1 tablespoon of fresh lime juice (if you are using concentrate then use only 1/2 tablespoon)
- 4 medium-sized ripe bananas
- Roast the bread cubes in the oven at 350F for about 7 minutes until they are dry. This will prevent the bread from getting too soggy.
- Remove from the oven and set aside to use later.
- In a bowl, whisk the eggs, sugar, vanilla extract and salt and combine well.
- In a heavy bottom saucepan, whisk the cream and half and half over a medium flame. Remove from heat.
- Add the cream mix to the egg mix and whisk well until the ingredients are mixed.
- Sieve the custard and set it aside to cool to lukewarm temperature. Make sure there are no lumps in the mix.
- In a separate saucepan, take the butter and brown sugar and heat them on low heat until the butter melts and the sugar dissolves.
- Cut the banana in half lengthwise and then in thin slices crosswise.
- Put the banana slices in the above-prepared sauce and stir in for 30 seconds until the banana pieces are coated on both sides.
- Remove from the heat and cool.
To assemble the pudding:
- Lightly grease an 8x8x2 inch baking dish and scatter 1/3 of the bread cubes at the bottom.
- Pour 1/2 of the banana slices and sauce over the bread.
- Cover with 1/3 of lukewarm custard.
- Add another layer of bread cubes, banana and custard over the top of the first layer.
- Add the third layer of bread and custard, press the top lightly and cover with aluminium foil.
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Place the glass dish in a water bath. To prepare the water bath, fill a large, metal baking dish half way with water.
- Bake at 350F for about 30 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake for another 45 minutes
- Remove from the water bath and set aside for 15 minutes.
- Serve warm.