In recent years home recording's been much simpler for the average user and it's likely to be that way into the future.
In years past you couldn't imagine getting recordings to sound as good as they do today from your home. If you set yourself up with the right knowledge and tools, the possibilities are unending.
To get the most out of your home studio, factor in the following 5 tips:
1. Buy good accessories- If you're looking to create fantastic home recordings you'll need to begin here. There's so much out there and if you use decent gear, you'll give yourself a serious chance of being successful. It's inconceivable to do home recording without a computer that is well made and operates properly. Now that you have the hardware your going to need some software in the form of a recording program. If you really want to get great sound out of your audio recording, pick up an usb audio interface. Whether condenser or dynamic, a well built microphone is a must plus speakers or headphones to hear your recordings.
2. Become familiar with your digital audio workstation- Also known as your recording or audio editing software, this is where you'll be doing most of the work. It really doesn't matter which one you choose, the significant thing is that you get to know it. Although they are unbelievable pieces of software with lots involved, if you make the effort to learn, you'll be able to figure it out without many problems. Definitely try and learn as many things as you can, if you put in the time you'll reap the rewards. Being able to use your recording program effectively and efficiently will put you ahead of the majority of people.
3. Get On YouTube- I'm sure you've used it for other things, if you haven't watched home recording tutorials, you're missing a fantastic opportunity. It's terrific for many things and will definitely help you get to know your digital audio workstation better. Search through the videos and I guarantee you'll learn a lot of new stuff and enhance your skills. If you ever needed the opportunity to learn a lot of new things about recording at home, YouTube gives it to you.
4. Know your objective- One of the biggest problems people can have when recording with recording software these days is information overload. Never allow yourself to become lost from all the information and technology that is at your fingertips. Make sure you avoid any of this by defining what you want before you start, it will go a long way. Don't get caught up doing senseless things, lay out the knowledge and skills you need to record properly and achieve it.
5. Think Long-Term- Remember that becoming proficient in recording at home is a long-term process and you need to be patient and develop your skills over time. With that said, if you dedicate yourself and keep improving you'll see a dramatic improvement. Your ears are your absolute biggest and best tool and should be your judgement when recording and editing anything.
Best of luck to you and hopefully these tips will provide useful for you in your home recording journey.