Could you and your family manage if you were isolated for 14 days without electricity, internet, phone and transport?
Being prepared for the summer storm season means thinking about practical things like having a backup battery for your mobile phone, a torch in case the electricity goes out and enough food to last you for 2 weeks. But would you be ready prepared if you were faced with such an emergency?
The economy right now is also struggling and many economists are predicting that a financial crisis 2.0 and currency devaluation is coming to the US and many other countries very soon. Imagine if these events did take place and you did not have your family ready. That could have serious consequences. You have to realise that it is better to prepare for the worst and hope for the best, that way no matter what happens, you and your family will be in a win win situation and will not have to worry and will have peace of mind in the next 12 to 24 months.
The government is encouraging residents to think ahead this storm season, and have the essentials in place in case of emergencies. Having an emergency kit is a good way of preparing yourself and your family for storms, floods and hurricanes. Emergency kits should contain enough supplies for everyone in your household to survive for at least 7 days, without outside contact or help.
Remember that your pets are part of your household too. Take some time now to prepare and ensure their needs are also included in your household preparedness plan. Although individual needs will vary, be prepared and decide on the best plan for you circumstances, If considering moving animals to a safer place, do so early to avoid unnecessary risk. It may not be possible to take your pet with you to a temporary evacuation shelter – so again, plan ahead and be prepared.
An emergency kit should be kept in a safe sturdy place, easily accessible, or in a water proof storage box. Here is an extensive list of other essential items you will need in case of a hurricane, nasty storm or other emergency type situations.
Here is your emergency survival kit list.
A basic list of emergency kit essentials includes:-
1) 14 day supply of non-perishable food, and other items.
2) Clean water in sealed containers.
3) First aid kit, with manual.
4) Torch with spare batteries.
5) Mobile phone, spare charger, batteries, or wind up charger.
6) Battery powered radio with extra batteries.
7) USB stick with important documents saved.
8) A copy of your household emergency plan, with all contact numbers.
9) Your pet emergency kit, including food, water, can opener, treats, bedding, toys, leads, harnesses, pet medications, medical and vaccination records, vet details, current photos for identification purposes.