:: Free article content
Authors: Maximum article exposure. Publishers: Reprintable article content.
Featured Articles
Recently Added Articles
Most Viewed Articles
Article Comments
Advanced Article Search
Submit Article
Check Article Status
Author TOS
RSS Article Feeds
Terms of Service

How to Choose Curtain Rods for Valances
Home Reference & Education College & University
By: Jane Dabad Email Article
Word Count: 513 Digg it | it | Google it | StumbleUpon it


Many consumers who want to hang curtains in the home search on the Internet using the term "curtain rods." What they may not understand is that this phrase will return results for a wide variety of items that include everything from a basic white rod to the ornate products used to hang decorative drapes. This makes it difficult to find exactly what the buyer wants. Before searching for curtain rods, it helps to think about what style drapes you want to hang. This will narrow your search results to fewer options and will save time in finding what you are looking for to hang in your home.

If you have curtains that will open and close with a cord, you need to find a traverse rod.

Most hardware retailers list the plains rods suitable for hanging fixed drapes as curtain rods. If your drapes move back and forth to open and close, you need to search for a traverse style rod. Sub-groups in this category include triple, double and single rods, which is something else you need to know before you make your purchase. Many curtain rod manufacturers produce a variety of traverse styles, including split draw and one-way draw, both left and right.

Continental curtain rods have a large pocket and are designed to hold a stationary valance.

Continental rods feature a large face that is flat. Sometimes they are referred to as continental valance rods. The wide, flat face allows the homeowner to install a valance into a rod pocket that is typically a minimum of 2.5 inches wide. Continental style rods come in a variety of designs that include shower or combo configurations. You will have to determine what size rod pocket your valence needs before you choose a continental rod.

A traditional plain rod will work if you need to hang a valance that can utilize a smaller rod pocket.

Valances that have a rod pocket that is the standard size will fit on any standard curtain rod. A one-inch rod pocket is the standard size. Even plain white rods come in a variety of sizes and you can also buy double and triple rods if you want to hang layered window treatments. Some of these standard items come with a flat continental front. This is called a continental combo and offers you the opportunity to hang both layers on a single rod.

These are the three most common types of rods but there are other designs you can consider for your home. Café, door and flat or round sash are additional options. If you have something unique, you may need to find a special purpose rod. These may include rods designed for use with arch or bay windows.

When you decide which type of rod you need, you can complete a more detailed search. You need to match the valance or drapes you have with the type of rod suitable for the purpose. If you are not sure what you need, you can contact a drapery installer in your area for advice.

Jane Dabad blogs about home decorating tips at The Curtains Guide. For more tips, check out these helpful guides: Curtain Designs and Decorating with Beaded Curtains.

Article Source:

This article has been viewed 941 times.

Rate Article
Rating: 0 / 5 stars - 0 vote(s).

Article Comments
There are no comments for this article.

Leave A Reply
 Your Name
 Your Email Address [will not be published]
 Your Website [optional]
 What is nine + one? [tell us you're human]
Notify me of followup comments via email

Related Articles

Copyright © 2020 by All rights reserved.

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Submit Article | Editorial