Heartburn occurs when the lower esophagus muscles become weak or relax when they should not, causing acid from the stomach to flow in the esophagus. Heartburn is often characterized by a burning sensation behind the breastbone and throat. Some people experience heartburn at night when they lie down. Other causes of heartburn may include eating spicy food, caffeine, or eating a large meal before bed. Over the counter medicines can help soothe heartburn. However making a few lifestyle changes can help get rid of heartburn for good. Listed below are some of the most effective on how to cure heartburn.
1. Baking soda - Baking soda has a higher PH and hence helps neutralize stomach acid. One spoon of baking soda mixed with water can help get rid of the burning, painful sensation caused by heartburn. When neutralized, the stomach acid will not burn you when it comes up your esophagus
Get half to one tablespoon of baking soda and a glass of water (not more than 8 ounces)
Add the baking soda to the glass of water
Drink the mixture. Repeat whenever you feel a heartburn coming. However do not take more than 3 tablespoons of baking soda in one day as it can cause side
Baking soda has high levels of salt and should not be made a long term remedy for heartburn
2. Chewing gum- Studies show that chewing sugar free gum for around 30 minutes after eating can help relief heartburn. Chewing gum helps stimulate the production and flow of saliva. The saliva helps dilute wash down excess acid that may have built up in the gut. The clearing of stomach acid helps prevent or reduce heartburn the excess acid is taken back to the stomach, where it ought to be. Make sure to get sugar free gum and not just any gum to help cure your heartburn.
Have/ Buy sugar free gum
Pop one piece of sugar free gum after meals and chew for around thirty minutes to get rid of heartburn
3. Aloe Vera- Aloe has been used for centuries to help soothe sunburns and burns; however, it has more potential than that. Aloe has properties that make it the herb effective to cure inflammation. When your throat and chest starts burning up, drinking a glass of aloe can help calm things down.
Drink half a cup of aloe Vera before meals to keep heartburn at bay
Some aloe Vera brands have a laxative, look for a brand that has doesnt have he laxative effect
4. Watch your diet- Watching your diet is one of the most effective ways of preventing and curing heartburn. Some foods have been known to cause heartburn when eaten
Watching what you eat- Certain foods have been known to trigger heartburn. Avoid spicy food, caffeine, fast foods etc to keep heartburn away. Instead, eat plenty of fruits and vegetables to help keep the stomach acid down.
Watching when you eat- Studies have shown that eating just before you go to bed puts pressure on the esophagus, triggering a heartburn. Eat around 3- 4 hours before going to bed to allow for digestion and to avoid excess acid from sneaking in your esophagus.
Watching how you eat- Eat small chunks of food, slowly enjoying and chewing every bite. Eating too fast without allowing your stomach enough time for digestion adds pressure to the stomach, causing heartburn.
5. Ginger- Ginger can help ease or prevent heartburn before a meal.
Get three, quarter slices of ginger root and two cups of water
Mix the ginger and water, and simmer for around thirty minutes
Pour the mixture, with or without ginger and drink around 20 minutes before you eat
6. Avoid alcohol and smoking- Cigarettes contain Nicotine that weakens the esophagus muscles. Alcohol irritates the stomach, causing heartburn. Avoiding alcohol and smoking in general could go a long way in curing heartburn
7. Almonds- Snacking on almonds after meals can help neutralize stomach acid
Eat 3- 4 after meals, or basically after you eat something.
Keep in mind that eating excess could actually cause heartburn.
If you are looking for tips on how to cure heartburn, following the remedies listed above can help get rid of the problem long term. However always seek doctors advice if you have chronic heartburn or the remedies above do not seem to work.