It is widely understood today that not all substances we are around in our modern environment are healthy for us, let alone babies and children. During a child’s first 9 months the brain develops rapidly. It is crucial to keep the surrounding environment as healthy, clean and toxin free as possible. The tricky, and somewhat unexpected part is that a lot of the products that we’re using to do exactly this, to keep our children’s surroundings clean, are often burdened with aggressive chemicals and problematic substances themselves.
Please find below a list of commonly occurring substances that can be dangerous for a child’s development, as well as strategies to avoid them:
1. Polybrominated diphenyl ethers
These chemicals are used as flame retardants, chemicals that can slow the speed of a flame. They can be found in televisions, computers, insulation and foam products, including children's toys and baby pillows. Products can shed ethers that can accumulate in dust. Exposure to these ethers have been associated with thyroid issues. Look for products that are free of flame retardant.
2. Air pollutants
Air pollution from burning fossil fuels such as coal, oil or gas is usually associated with respiratory issues. However, these pollutants can also include nitrogen dioxide, formaldehyde and benzene. Aside from trying to avoid polluted areas, you can make sure to buy furniture and products that advertise themselves as formaldehyde-free. Try to avoid buying furniture made with particleboard, plywood or pressed wood. Many of these products use glues containing formaldehyde.
They can be found in body sprays, cleaners, hair sprays, soap, nail polish, and coatings on time-release pharmaceuticals. You can reduce your exposure to phthalates by using unscented lotions and laundry detergents, microwaving food in glass containers rather than plastic, avoiding air fresheners, and using cleaners that are free of phthalates and other aggressive chemicals. Our recommendation is eco-reviver.
Lead is a naturally occurring metal. It was banned from gasoline in the 1970s but can still be found in older homes that used leaded paint. Lead can also make its way into water, because of corrosion from old water pipes. If your home was built before 1978, test your paint. If the paint is chipping or peeling, it will need to be stripped or covered. Homeowners may want to consider using a professional who is lead-safe certified to help you.
It is important to be conscious of the chemicals you are exposing yourself too, especially with infants around. If you are finding items in your home that may be toxic, it is best to get rid of these items and clean your home to remove any toxins left behind. Rid your home of toxins and create a safe and nourishing environment with Eco Revivers safe multi-purpose cleaner.
- Eco Reviver