There are four main types of solar system available in Australia: Hybrid, stand-alone, grid connect and portable.
Hybrid solar systems are one of our favourites. It connects to the mains grid, but you can also store excess power through a backup battery. The best things: excess power can be sold to electricity companies and you will have power in a blackout. The disadvantages: it is high maintenance and can be expensive.
Stand Alone systems are predominantly used in the outback or regional areas where power isn't always readily available. This type of system needs batteries as a backup, and they can work out cheaper to install than other types. The problem with these: stand alone systems can be high maintenance, expensive and they are only designed to power one thing at a time (eg solar hot water system).
Grid Connect systems are the most popular option for most businesses and home-owners because they are the most cost -effective, they are easy to operate and low-maintenance. They link to the mains electricity grid and don't need any batteries to operate. Any excess power goes straight back into the grid and electricity companies actually pay you for that. The biggest problem with these is they won't work during a blackout.
Portable systems are fantastic for use with small items, particularly if you're on the move. This is the kind of system that is popular for boating and camping, providing power through portable solar panels that are lightweight and easy to carry around. They are easy to set up and reliable. The biggest problem: they are only suitable for small items. You couldn't run a household or business on them.
If you're considering investing in solar energy for your home or business - you're on the right track! If you need more convincing, here are our top 10 reasons why we think you should invest in solar.
1. Save money on electricity bills
2. Low maintenance costs
3. Help the environment: by investing in solar you are doing your part to help combat detrimental greenhouse emissions
4. It is a reliable source of energy into the future: you're using the sun... it's never going to set forever, so you are always guaranteed energy.
5. Immediate return on your investment: you don't have to wait to see results. You'll see these from the moment your panels are installed (and more so when you start receiving energy bills).
6. Home improvement: if you are considering selling your home down the track, having solar will add value to the property
7. Solar power in the home is here to stay. More than 1 million homes in Australia have solar energy. Why wouldn't you join them and reap the benefits?
8. Business improvement: investing in solar could boost your business by proving to your customers you are dedicated to a sustainable future.
9. Employees will love that you've committed to helping the environment, boosting morale and making the workplace much happier.
10. Finally, Energy Options: when you have a company like Energy Options working beside you, every step of the way, you can't go wrong!