A review on Generic Fosamax
Fosamax contains Alendronate as the active ingredient which belongs to class of drugs known as ‘Bisphosphonates’ Bisphosphonates were first used to treat Paget’s disease in 1971. Fosamax is mainly used to prevent and treat osteoporosis in both men and women. Alendronate contained in Fosamax helps in strengthening the bone. Fosamax is available as 10mg tablet to be consumed once a day. It can also be taken once a week.
Osteoclasts are bone cells that absorbs bone tissue during growth and healing. Alendronate present in the Generic Fosamax, inhibits osteoclast activity and reduces bone resorption and turnover which cause increase in bone mass.
The effect of this medicine is observed within 3 weeks of administration and action of this medicine lasts for an average duration of 12-30 weeks.
Dosing Instructions for Generic Fosamax
• Do not take less or more number of tablets than recommended by physician. Discontinue the tablets after completing the course as advised by the physician; do not take the medicine for longer period of time.
• Take this tablet in the morning immediately after you wake up as this medicine needs to be consumed 30 minutes before having any food, drink or medicine.
• This medicine needs to be consumed with a full glass of water.
• Do not crush, break or chew the tablet.
• Do not lie down or recline for period of at least 30 minutes after taking the dose.
• Do not consume any other medicines including vitamins, calcium supplements or antacids for 30 minutes after taking Fosamax.
• Practice dental hygiene while taking Fosamax. Brush and floss your teeth daily. In case you visit your dentist to undergo any kind of dental procedure inform him well in advance that you are taking Fosamax.
• Store Fosamax at room temperature away from direct heat and excessive moisture.
• Fosamax is usually prescribed for period of only 3 to 5 years.
Avoid taking Fosamax if
• You are allergic to alendronate
• You have low levels of calcium in your blood which is termed as hypocalcaemia
• You cannot sit upright or stand for at least 30 minutes as fosamax can lead to serious problems of stomach or esophagus.
• You have difficulty in swallowing
• Suffering from a dental issue
• You are suffering from kidney disease
• You are suffering from malabsorption (abnormality of absorption of food across gastrointestinal tract)
• Are pregnant or planning a pregnancy or during breastfeeding.
Side effects of generic Fosamax include allergic reaction, stomach ache, nausea and vomiting, heartburn, difficulty in swallowing, irregular heartbeats, loss of appetite, loosening of the teeth, joint or muscle pain, swelling of ankles or feet, flu like symptoms etc.