The basic steps for renting a truck are pretty straightforward. Personal Accident Insurance -- Covers accidental death and medical expenses for you and other passengers of the rental truck.
1. Inquire about the rental prices for the appropriate size vehicle. There are several well-known rental truck companies including Budget, U Haul, Penske and Ryder. Quotes can be obtained online or by phone. Rentals are priced on a per-day basis plus mileage. Price should not be your only consideration for renting a truck however as some of the more value-oriented companies will tend to (but not necessarily) have older vehicles.
2. Make your reservations. Once you have found the company and truck that will meet your needs, make your reservations. Be sure to follow up one to two days in advance to ensure your truck will be waiting for you when you arrive.
3. Pick up the truck. When you go to pick up your truck you will have paperwork to fill out and inspect the truck for damage. Look over the truck carefully for damage as you may be charged if you dont. Also verify the odometer reading and fuel level. Figure on 30 minutes before you are able to drive away. Be sure to have your drivers license, credit card and proof of insurance (you can also purchase insurance from the rental company).
Types of Rental Truck Insurance
Cargo Insurance -- Covers loss or damage to your household items caused by vehicle accident or weather.
Limited Loss and Damage Waiver -- for just a few dollars a day, you will be rendered free from any liability resulting from loss or accidental damage to the truck.
4. After you leave the rental company - Keep copies of the Truck Rental Agreement, Truck Inspection Report, and Driver Trip Report. You will need these documents in the event you are in an accident or stopped by law enforcement.
5. Move - Load your items into the truck and drive safely. Put heavier items towards the front of the truck for better balance. Also remember, especially when full that rental trucks don't stop quickly. Give yourself extra room in traffic and remember that these trucks are long and its easy to run over curbs and other items.
6. Return the truck - Return your truck at your destination and close out the contract. If you return the truck after hours there is a drop box to place the rental contract and keys.
Have a safe and happy move!