A lot of People lose their car audio equipment to thieving rats. This can be easily prevented or reduced if you'll do the following...
1) Get a good car security system. And when you do, make sure you activate it always. A lot of people are funny. They'll buy a good car security system but will often forget to use it.
2) Buy car audio units that have theft-deterrence systems. These come in different designs. There is certainly one out there that will suit your taste.
3) Pack your car in well-lit areas.
4) Avoid flashy stickers. They attract attention. You don't want to give thieves such "steal me" signals.
5) Remember to lock your car always.
6) While installing your car audio equipment, try to use screws that have uncommon heads. If you use standard screws, you make it easy for thieves. If you use, say, a hex-head, you make it much more difficult for thieves for the simple reason that they’re less likely to have such bits.
7) In spite of all these you may still lose your stuff. That's why you need to get a car insurance policy that also takes care of your car audio equipment completely. It's not just about getting a comprehensive plan. How comprehensive is your comprehensive policy? Read the fine lines and make sure you are truly covered. It's painful to discover later that your comprehensive policy does not cover your custom stereo.
Before I drop my pen I think you should know that getting a policy that covers your car stereo completely doesn't necessarily mean you have to spend much more than otherwise. There is a process that guarantees massive savings in car insurance. If you employ it you can save up to $1000. All you'll then do is use part of it for a rider to cover your car audio equipment if your policy doesn't cater for it.