Psychology

You're Not Enough Like Me
By Bruce Wilson · 1 year ago
You’re Not Enough Like Me Bruce Wilson, PhD Couples counselling has some special challenges. Two individuals rarely see the same experiences the same. Their different realities are not a fault but rather should be expected. ...
Awareness Through the Ages
Awareness Through the Ages Bruce Wilson, PhD Oscar Wilde said: “The old believe everything, the middle-aged suspect everything, the young know everything.” Is Oscar on to something here, or is Oscar just being cynical? Afterall, ...
Illusion and Self-Identity
By Dr. Bruce Wilson · 1 year ago
Illusion and Self-Identity Bruce Wilson, PhD What is an illusion? When something is not what it seems to be, there is a good chance we are in the possible grip of an illusion. Why does ...
Guilt and Hindsight Bias
By Dr. Bruce Wilson · 1 year ago
Guilt and Hindsight Bias Bruce Wilson, PhD It is sometimes said that “hindsight is 20/20”, which implies it is really accurate. Perhaps, but maybe not! Daniel Kahneman describes the fallibility and bias of hindsight as ...
The Benefits and Burden of Being an Empath
By Dr. Dawn Brown · 1 year ago
In general, empathy is a very positive trait. We want to be understood by the people around us and receiving empathy lets us know we’re being listened to. Empathizing with another’s pain can bring comfort. ...
Implicit Bias
Implicit Bias Bruce Wilson, PhD “A flawless delusion is more appealing to the human mind than a flawed reality.”- Abhijit Naskar What is implicit bias? Implicit bias is unconscious bias. This type of bias connects ...
A Set Mind or a Mindset?
A Set Mind or a Mindset? Bruce Wilson, PhD “When you think you can or you think you can’t you’re right.” Henry Ford The Set Mind When we suggest the idea of a set mind, ...
Self-centeredness: Nigeria's major psychological issue
By Samaila Muhammad · 2 years ago
Self-centeredness is a surface trait associated with psychological disorders such as antisocial and narcissistic personality disorders. Self-centeredness is a trait that makes people ignore or forget the needs and conditions of others. A self-centered person ...
The Big Problem of Burnout for Mental Health Professionals
By Dr. Dawn Brown · 2 years ago
The COVID-19 pandemic brought many big challenges into our lives, from the obvious one of the threat to global health to the more peripheral problems that resulted. Living through 2020 and beyond has taken its ...
Out with the Old, and in with the New: A Step toward Eliminating Self Doubt and Demonstrating Self-Love
By Kristian Graves · 2 years ago
If I could teach my younger self anything, it would be that life is a marathon, not a race. We must be our only competition. We are not here to satisfy anyone except ourselves. We ...
Simple Complexity?
By Bruce Wilson · 2 years ago
Simple Complexity? Dr. Bruce Wilson “For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.”- H.L.Mencken Why do we try to eliminate complexity by trying to make things simple? Could simple ...
The Pleasure Paradox
The Pleasure Paradox Bruce Wilson, PhD “Pleasure is none if not diversified.”-John Donne Pleasure is not just confined to the self but also includes a regard to the pleasure of others. How do we seek ...
Performance Dissonance
Performance Dissonance Bruce Wilson, PhD “The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.”- Rienhold Nieburh Are you performing in your right mind? The ...
Getting Past Self Imposed Limitations and Limiting Beliefs
By Stephen Nalley · 2 years ago
One of the biggest obstacles that limit people from accomplishing their goals is their inability to push through adversity. For many people, this begins with Self-imposed limitations or Limiting Beliefs. The effects of both of ...
How Entrepreneurs Can Tell When It's Time to See a Psychiatrist
By Dr. Dawn Brown · 2 years ago
Far too often, the strong, independent entrepreneur puts aside their struggles, prioritizing the business and all their goals for it above their own selves. Mental health is health. When you’re sick, you go to a ...
The Self-Saboteur
“I am the greatest obstacle to my greatest dreams.”-Craig D. Lounsbrough Why do we stand in our own way? What possible payoffs could entice someone to repeatedly self-sabotage? Are there any identifiable precursors that could ...
Procrastinate Later
Procrastinate Later Bruce Wilson, PhD “I’m a conundrum or an enigma, I forget which.”- James A. Owen What motivates us to be unmotivated? Why does one put the pro in procrastination? These questions have plagued ...
Does Wisdom Increase with Age?
By Nurhashimah Binti Bahrain · 2 years ago
In biology, the correlation between knowledge and aging has a basis: as people grow older, the mind grows more, a direct by-product of only having to live longer and experience more things. Older people are ...
The quiet room
By Don Robbins · 2 years ago
Doc was an adventurous kid. He was mischievous and he liked the girls. The staff at the children’s home where he was a resident did not care for his midnight creeps over to the building ...
Positive Frustration
By Dr Bruce Wilson · 2 years ago
Positive Frustration Bruce Wilson, PhD “Frustration although quite painful at times is a very positive part of success.” -Bo Bennett The human experience comes with oodles of expectations. Expectations of people, things, and outcomes that ...